Re: GPL exception ???

> On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 09:25:03AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > I came on a program that is distributed under the GPL with the addition
> > of the following exception :
> >
> >   Derivative works must not remove the original author's copyright
> >   notices, name or comments from source code and documentation. Doing
> >   so will violate the license.

As Branden says, extremely non-free to disallow removal/alteration of
comments.  Removal specifically of copyright notices is already protected,
and doesn't need a seperate clause.

Depending on how one interprets the addition of restrictions to the GPL,
it may be undistributable at all.

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Branden Robinson wrote:
> I hope the copyright holder realizes that this restriction is
> unenforceable under copyright law if the source code and documentation
> are rewritten such that they are no longer derivative works.

I don't disagree, but I think I'm missing something WRT the reason for
your comment.  It never crossed my mind that a license author would expect
such a restriction to apply to original works.  In this case, it even says
"Derivative works must...".