Re: [OT] Droit d'auteur vs. free software?

* Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet <galactus@stack.nl> [030512 19:52]:
> > As I already explained several days ago, the right to prevent
> > modifications does NOT exist for SOFTWARE. Author's rights on SOFTWARE
> > are quite limited, even in Europe.
>
> Moral rights are excluded for software? Can you please give
> me a citation for that? As far as I can tell, the Berne
> Convention nor any of the WIPO treaties say anything like this.

Software is normally treated specially in Europe. In Germany I was told
a necessary condition for something to be protectable by copyright law
(or "Author's Rights", as the verbatim translation for its German word),
is to be made by human (in contrast to animals or computers) OR beeing
software. They said this was introduced to make the USA sign
international copyright treaties.

While I think copyright on sourcecode can be an accaptable thing, I think
protection of binaries is very unnatural.

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link

--
Sendmail is like emacs: A nice operating system, but missing
an editor and a MTA.