Re: [OT] Droit d'auteur vs. free software?

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 02:25:05AM -0700,
 Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net> wrote
 a message of 111 lines which said:

> Since changing the color of curtains violates the rights of an
> architect, it's hard to imagine any significant change to any piece of
> software that would not wreak similar harm to "honor and reputation"
> if the author decided to complain: "That totally violates my original
> vision; it never occurred to me that anyone would so horribly damage
> my program", and bingo--license revoked.

As I already explained several days ago, the right to prevent
modifications does NOT exist for SOFTWARE. Author's rights on SOFTWARE
are quite limited, even in Europe.

Of course, many issues are still open:

* what's the lawyer's definition of "software", any way?
* what about artistic work published under a GPL or GFDL licence?

But your example is wrong: wether the author wants it or not, he
cannot oppose a change in his/her program.