Re: compatibility between Open Publication License and GNU GPL

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 11:00:41AM -0700, Mark Rafn wrote:
> > | The publisher
> > | and author's names shall appear on all outer surfaces of the
> > | book. On all outer surfaces of the book the original
> > | publisher's name shall be as large as the title of the work and
> > | cited as possessive with respect to the title.
>
> This would likely not be accepted for software.  There's currently some
> debate (heh) on whether documentation can be considered free with this
> kind of restriction and whether there is a category of things that are
> not software which Debian should distribute even if they're not free.
>
> My personal opinion is that this clause makes any work released under
> this license non-free, and Debian shouldn't distribute it.

Hm.  I think have said in the past that the OPL was Free if neither of
its license options were exercised.  However the above quoted text from
the license is not conditional, and is part of all instantiations of the
OPL.

I hereby retract any previous unequivocal statements I made about the
OPL's DFSG-freeness when neither license option is exercised.

I am not yet willing to make a new unequivocal statement to replace it.
My thoughts on this issue will probably hitched to the GNU FDL Cover
Texts issue, but I need more time to reflect on the subject.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Men are born ignorant, not stupid.
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     They are made stupid by education.