Re: [OT] Droit d'auteur vs. free software?

Scripsit Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl>
> On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 05:48:23PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:

> > (Opposite in some other parts of the world where one can become
> > rich simply by being too stupid to imagine that coffee might be hot).

>   1. The coffee in question was *much* hotter than coffee is normally served.

Coffee is made by pouring *boiling water* through a medium of ground
roasted coffee beans. Yes, boiling water causes burns.

>   2. The lady in question didn't deliberately spill coffee over herself
>      because she thought it wouldn't be hot.

No non-stupid person will hold a flimsy styrofoam cup between one's
*knees* while attempting to manipulate a tight-fitting lid, unless
they think that the liquid inside is not hot.

>   3. If the coffee had been at normal temperature,

The normal temperature of boiling water is 100 °C. See (1).

>   4. The corporation that served the coffee was aware that the temperature
>      was a problem,

What the corporation thinks does not excuse being stupid. See (2).

>   5. All she initially asked for was enough money to pay for the medical
>      bills.

I'll withhold my opinion about a country where having accidents
entails "medical bills" that one needs to extract from the innocent
provider of some agent that happened to be involved in the accident.

>      The jury awarded punitive damages because they considered
>      the corporation to be willfully putting its customers at risk.

Yet none of the "debunkers" offer any coherent explanation of why on
earth McDonalds would have the *will* to do so. It doesn't scan. But
then again I'm not buying into the common theory that McDonalds
*willfully* makes the "food" they sell taste like cardboard.

> The Association of Trial Lawyers of America has a page about the case:

Aren't they the ones who get rich by getting half of the spoils?
Naturally they'd conclude that nothing at all is wrong.

--
Henning Makholm                             "I've been staying out of family
                                   conversations. Do I get credit for that?"