Re: [OT] Droit d'auteur vs. free software?

Scripsit Mark Rafn <dagon@dagon.net>

> Ok, how about Tuomas Kuosmanen, the creator of a whole lot of fine icons
> in various free software packages?  Would his qualify as an "artistic
> reputation"?

Perhaps.

> Would he be able, regardless of the fact that his icons are released
> under GPL, to prevent his work from being included in an accounting
> package he didn't like?

I don't think so. On the contrary, BECAUSE of the fact that he
voluntarily released his icons under GPL, it is an integral part of
the artistic character of the work that it can be used in any context
and with any modifications anyone pleases. Therefore, no actual use or
modification can conceivably violate that artistic character, so §3
subsection 2 can never apply to the work.

It might be a different story if he released them under GPL not
because of artistic vision but because someone paid him to do so.

> Any place which disallows a permission to create derived works without
> reservation.

Which Denmark is not, your inability to understand it (or my inability
to explain it) nonwithstanding.

--
Henning Makholm                "De kan rejse hid og did i verden nok så flot
                                 Og er helt fortrolig med alverdens militær"