Re: various opinions on Debian vs the GFDL

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 09:52, Anthony Towns wrote:

> I can't see how that's even meaningful. How do you make a soundfile part
> of a text document?

It'd no longer be a plain-text document. To take a random example, you
could create a HyperCard stack (ignoring that HyperCard isn't free, for
a moment --- someday).

What if there were a free equivalent of Quark, PageMaker, etc?

The GFDL seems to have problems with (text) modifications in any format
that can't be edited by a text editor. I think that needs closer
inspection.

> You could accompany the GNU FDL document with a sound file, you could
> link a sound file from a GNU FDL web page...

Yes, except that the FSF considers linking creating a derivative work,
at least for GPL purposes. (I personally think that is silly in cases
like this). No doubt the FSF would be less than happy if, e.g., you were
to use IFRAME to link in more text (under a non-free license); why
should sound be any different.

What if you wanted to embed the sound in the document? HTML allows
this... (I forget the RFC number. I'll look it up if I really have to.)

> What's stopping you from doing all your music in some XML format, anyway? > [...] Forcing you to convert mp3s to XML

I'd assume: "A 'Transparent' copy of the Document [is] suitable for
revising the document straightforwardly with generic text editors...."

BTW: Has anyone noticed that one of their examples of a standard image
format, XCF, isn't openable with "generic paint programs"; only with
AFAIK GNU GIMP?