Re: various opinions on Debian vs the GFDL

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 06:26:07PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@debian.org>
> > Is it a consensus on debian-legal that a GFDL work *without* any
> > Invariant or Cover is indeed free and has no problem being distributed
> > in "main"?
>
> I believe so. There is some fudging about the precise definition of
> opaque and transparent formats, but I'm not aware that anyone thinks
> they would be showstoppers in and of themselves.

Actually, I do.  I hope this is just a bug in the license that the FSF
is willing to rectify, though.

The definition of a Transparent copy is so implementation-specific
that a sound file can never be part of a GFDLed document.  I think
this is a significant restriction on modification.

Richard Braakman