Re: query from Georg Greve of GNU about Debian's opinion of the FDL

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 12:31:42PM +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 11:47:57PM -0400,
>  Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote
>  a message of 50 lines which said:
>
> > Under *some* countries using the *minority* Droit d'Auteur system, perhaps.
> > Under the system used in the majority of the world,
>
> I strongly object: Great Britain and its former colonies are not the
> majority of the world, whatever your criteria (number of inhabitants,
> GNP, etc) are.

I strongly object to your objection.  The U.S., U.K., and other
countries using the "common law" legal system are important enough
within the domain of discussion (Free Software distributed by the Debian
Project) to be granted consideration.

Your sniping is a major distraction from the point of Mr. Nerode's
message.

In any event, if non-common law countries have legal frameworks that
technically render Free Software as conceived by the FSF and the Debian
Project impossible, then that's a problem for the citizens of those
countries to address.  The influence of non-corporate foreigners will be
practically negligible.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Communism is just one step on the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     long road from capitalism to