Re: Proposed statement wrt GNU FDL

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Brian T. Sniffen wrote:

> > I'm not putting that up as the canonical form of the Q&A, but it
> > reinforces to me why the GFDL needs fixing, and not us.
>
> This says to me "It's hard to change the DFSG, and the DFSG is
> respected."  Neither of those seems like a good reason for the GFDL to
> change.  I think your argument could be much stronger if it included a
> "because we're right" paragraph.

The rest of the FAQ takes care of that part of the argument pretty well, I
think.  It details why the GFDL sucks in many and varied ways.  My Q&A is
just a defence against another sort of whinger - those who will make the
logical steps:

* Debian wants the FDL to change

* They want it to change because the FDL doesn't fit with their guidelines

* Why not change Debian's guidelines?

My answer only attacks this point.  The rest of the FAQ answers the question
"Why does the GFDL suck so badly?".

- Matt