Re: Revised LaTeX Project Public License (LPPL)

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 16:50, Brian T. Sniffen wrote:
> Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:
>
> > Scripsit Brian T. Sniffen

> >> Sure: I take the Base Format and make a functional change to it,
> >> removing the option to turn off validation.  Now I distribute this
> >> under your draft LPPL.

I'm going to note, for the record, that I don't see how this makes the
software non-free.  So, I don't yet believe that implementation details
can make the software non-free.  (But stay tuned.)

> It is not possible to distribute non-free software under the MIT/X11
> license, for example.

But it is possible to do so under the GFDL (so the argument goes).

> Given that you and Jeff are proposing this license in isolation,
> without providing the code implementing the feature which makes this
> free, or even a good specification for it, I find it strange that
> you're now arguing that it's wrong to insist that a license be clearly
> free in isolation.

Do you want us to post a tarball of LaTeX?  Alternatively, if you have
questions about implementation, could you not ask the LaTeX people?
I've seen David Carlisle, at least, post to this thread.
--
Jeff Licquia <licquia@debian.org>