Re: Revised LaTeX Project Public License (LPPL)

Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:

> Scripsit Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu>
>
>> That's good, but only if you're able to modify the Base Format.  It is
>> easy to imagine scenarios where you are able to modify individual
>> files, but not the validation mechanism.
>
> Could you please imagine one? Remember to include in your imagined
> scenario that the unmodified Base Format will have a documented option
> to turn off validation.

Sure: I take the Base Format and make a functional change to it,
removing the option to turn off validation.  Now I distribute this
under your draft LPPL.

The freeness of a license should be as divorced as possible from
accidents of implementation.

-Brian

--
Brian T. Sniffen                                        bts@alum.mit.edu