Re: MySQL-OpenSSL linking, news by MySQL team.about licensing

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 01:59:32PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mer 02/04/2003 ` 13:26, Francesco P. Lovergine a icrit :
> > Dear all
> >
> > we have some news about #167747 which is potentially of interest
> > of all packages which links OpenSSL libraries and MySQL libraries.
> >
> > MySQL libraries currently are plain GPL, NOT LGPL as someone thought.
> >
> > Stay tuned.
>
> Isn't this also an issue with php4-mysql ? It is under the PHP license
> which is GPL-incompatible.
>
> What about the numerous PHP projects (many of which are even non-free)
> making use of these bindings ?

That's valid for all them. Currently all packages which mix openssl with
GPL code should add some kind of exception sentence. Many of them
already did.
This is unfortunately a recurrent problem, and I honestly cannot see
any other solution, but for requiring LGPL or put all that stuff in
non-free (and I don't know if this suffices). An alternative could
be using gnutls instead of openssl at all... truly a nightmare
for 150 packages or more.

A more definitive solution is asking for some kind of license
modification to openssl team (a thing probably already done
many times).

--
Francesco P. Lovergine