Re: PHPNuke license

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 16:55, Mark Rafn wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Steve Langasek wrote:
>
> > Let's see if we can build consensus around a few points.
> >
> > Does anyone here hold the position that requiring the copyright notice on
> > the front page would not be DFSG-free, if that's a valid interpretation
> > of the GPL?
>
> I believe this is not free unless it can be removed when the page is
> changed by the site administrator enough not to be considered a derivative
> work of the PHP-Nuke copyrighted default homepage.
>
> This fails DFSG9 - it's contaminating my wholly-original homepage.

Actually, if you swap out the templates, the copyright statement must
still be displayed (somewhere) -- recall that (2)(c) triggers on
modification. But even if you choose to display it on every page, it
simply doesn't apply to your original web page.  Some of the BSD
licenses say you have to include them in your (otherwise wholly
original) documentation -- they clearly don't contamiate the doco, any
more than a script containing the text rm -rf / erases every file you
own (since it could contain that text in an echo or comment).

> > Does anyone believe the GPL unambiguously *dis*allows that
> > interpretation?
>
> I do.  2c applies to running of the program

Please re-read (2)(c).  It restricts the *modification* of the program.

--
-Dave Turner                     Stalk Me: 617 441 0668

"On matters of style, swim with the current, on matters
of principle, stand like a rock." -Thomas Jefferson