Re: Help with the Bloom Public License

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 11:26:45AM -0600, Drew Scott Daniels wrote:
> I would like to help Charles Bloom make the Bloom Public License (BPL)
> DFSG compliant. It's available at: http://www.cbloom.com/bpl.txt
>
> The version modified May 14, 2002 seems to have problems with it.

[ ... ]

> Item 6 seems to be an advertising clause. I forget the history with
> advertising clauses, but it at least seems undesirable.

Definitely undesirable; I'm still gearing up to try to convince upstream on
the NetBSD sources to remove some of theirs (and, beyond that, some of the
authors who contributed to them... gotta love multiple upstream projects).

I don't recall the exact DFSG rendering (other than, at minimum, it *may*
conflict with some other licenses if it includes other software), but the
following page is a good collection of information on advertising clauses
and the problems they cause:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html

(Note that UCB, who had the 'origional' advertising clause, has long since
abandoned that clause and relicensed all of their works, retroactively, to
no longer require it.)
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>