Re: Starting to talk

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 04:14:45PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> a tapoté :
>
> > On Monday 22 September 2003 14:32, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> > > The point is whether every software needs to be free or just program
> > > and their documentation.
> >
> > The point is whether every software IN DEBIAN needs to be free.
>
> You are right, that's the question.
>
> Free, in think that everybody agree, but under which definition of
> freedom? Does the DFSG definition of freedom that applies to program
> (nobody question that) help us to draw the line at the correct place
> also for documentation?
>
> In other terms, do we consider the fact that we cannot modify a
> political essay in a documentation so harmful that we would prefer
> stopping delivering this documentation?

Yes.

> That is indeed the question.
>
> I think personally that it is harmful to do so

That is without question, but that does not mean we should not do so
(because the alternative isn't much better)

> and harmless to let
> that essays where they are,

Harmless, perhaps. "The right thing to do", no.

> since they do not interfere with the
> program and documentation usability.
>
> What do you think? Saying it's not DFSG-compliant is not an
> answer.

It is. Moreover, it's the only correct answer.

> Apart from MJ Ray, which think that any document should follow the
> Free Software rules, software or not, nobody against the GFDLed text
> inclusion clearly stated his point of view.

Please. Read
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200308/msg01031.html
and the thread that follows it. Or, if you don't have much time, that
message and
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200308/msg01680.html

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."