Re: A possible GFDL compromise

Sergey Spiridonov <sena@hurd.homeunix.org> writes:

> Bernhard R. Link wrote:
>> As far as I know, there is no such restriction in usage. It only limits
>
> Yes, I agree. What I want to point out is: GPL have restrictions
> (limitations) on what you can do with the GPL code. So, it takes away
> *some* freedoms.

You are incorrect.  Copyright law limits how you may copy or
distribute the code.  The GPL lifts some, but not all, of these
limits.

The GPL itself takes away nothing.

> The same thing is with FDL. If Debian users and maintainers do not
> need the freedom to remove political statements in most cases (for
> example Manifesto from Emacs), they can agree with invariant sections
> in documenation.
>
> I believe in most cases we can agree with such a limitation.

Your argument has false premises.  Want to try again?

-Brian

--
Brian T. Sniffen                                        bts@alum.mit.edu
                       http://www.evenmere.org/~bts/