Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 08:47:42PM +0200, Sergey V. Spiridonov wrote:
> >Oh, great, so maybe I'll finally have answers to my generic questions to
> >FDL supporters: how a license which forbids to put the document on an
> >encrypted filesystem can be considered free? How a license which forbids
>
> Is it? Are you sure?

Have you bothered to read the license whose use you advocate?

> Or do you plan to distribute encrypted Debian CD's? ;)

Why shouldn't people be free to do so?

> It is wrong to pick up *some* inconveniences (and even negative aspects)
> and call the license non-free. Correct way is to sum up all pros and
> cons for the majority of people on the long terms.

Sure; in the long run the USA PATRIOT act is much better for the freedom
of people in the United States (not just citizens, but permanent
residents and even visitors -- see the 14th Amendment) than that silly
Bill of Rights thing.

> FDL is free enough for Debian. FDL is free.

Even under your own standard you have failed to make a case.  You've
said nothing except that the GNU FDL isn't "inconvenient enough" to be
called non-free.  You have not "summed up all the pros and cons".

> I still wonder why people with the same ardour and consistency do not
> speak about distribution of software in the non-free section? Why Debian
> distributes non-free?

You are obviously quite ignorant of Debian history.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2000/debian-vote-200006/threads.html

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    The best place to hide something is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    in documentation.