Re: Is the Apache Software License DFSG-compliant?

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 02:51, Pierre THIERRY wrote:

> I just looked at the license for some Apache software, like Xalan,
> Xerces of FOP. I noticed that it forbids the use of their name in
> derived work without written permission.

No, it forbids the use of their names in derived *Products*, not
works...

5. Products derived from this software may not be called "Apache",
   nor may "Apache" appear in their name, without prior written
   permission of the Apache Software Foundation.

Of course, how much of a difference is implied between the two terms
probably entirely depends on your country and how much you each pay for
your lawyers.

OTOH a quick Google indicates that the Apache Software Foundation
consider packages of Apache (even with modifications & bug fixes) to be
"Apache" and not another product.

I guess they believe that if it's packaged as Apache, acknowledged as
Apache, says Apache on the box and is Apache, then it's the Apache
product.

Scott