Re: APSL 2.0

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, MJ Ray wrote:
> It is expected that GPL-3 will contain something similar to the Affero GPL
> requirement for remote services to offer users the code.

Indeed, and this is the primary reason I recommend authors NOT add the "or
any later version" when choosing GPLv2.

> Do you object to that?  If so, why?

Vehemently.  It removes the ability of users to privately modify work,
which IMO is simply not free.  Almost any piece of software in a business
is used (indirectly in many cases, but used nonetheless) by most of it's
customers.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200303/msg00805.html
is a list of software "uses" that are hard to distinguish from each
other in a license, so would all require full source to be made publicly
available.

> I think you are unwise to throw words like "leeches" and "viral" around
> so freely.  That sort of thing spoiled an otherwise interesting email
> for me.

Is there any possible reason to prefer this requirement other than to
punish "leeches"?  This seems a hugely bad motivation for a major license
change.