Re: APSL 2.0

MJ Ray <markj@cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> Stephen Ryan <taketwoaspirin@deepthought.dartmouth.edu> wrote:
>> the whole installation was under such a license.  I'm now liable to
>> distribute the source code for an entire operating system to every
>> person who manages to obtain a web page from me.
>
> How does this differ from your current obligation to either provide
> the source or equivalent offer to that which you obtained the source?

Well, for a start, the Affero/APSL clause is a restriction on use: the
GPL grants only freedoms from the restrictions imposed by Copyright
law.  The Affero and APSL license impose additional restrictions in
exchange for granting some freedoms.

> Or is your server a 0-user affair?  So why wouldn't the offer clause
> work for you?

The APSL doesn't have an offer clause.  And even if it did, hosting an
entire source distribution with working build scripts because I want
to have a listserv is an unreasonable burden.

-Brian

--
Brian T. Sniffen                                        bts@alum.mit.edu
                       http://www.evenmere.org/~bts/