Re: Should our documentation be free? (Was Re: Inconsistencies in

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 12:55, Joe Moore wrote:
> > You can extract the BSD-licensed code from the proprietary code, and
> > use only it. There's no requirement in the BSD-licensed code that you
> > must distribute proprietary code that it was linked to at one point.
>
> And that is exactly the same as what is required by the GFDL.
>
> If you know that paragraph X was in the FooWare manual before EvilCo added
> its invariant section, then you can distribute paragraph X without EvilCo's
> invariant section.

This is a violation of the license. You received the version of the
document with the invariant section; that's the *only* version you have
a license too.

I would hope that Debian does not endorse copyright violation as a means
to get around the GFDL's shortcomings.

> Similarly, with BSD'd source:
> If you know that function X was in the FooWare product before EvilCo added
> its proprietary GUI, then you can distribute function X without EvilCo's
> permission.  (assuming you fulfull the rest of the requirements of the BSD
> license, i.e. preserve copyright notices)  The easiest way to be sure that
> this is the case is to find a copy of the FooWare product without EvilCo's
> proprietary GUI.  Or you can review the changelog and back out all changes
> from EvilCo.[0]

You received two licenses with FooWare, EvilCo's proprietary one, and
the BSD one. Unless EvilCo's proprietary license forbids you from
extracting the BSD code (in which case I would question its validity),
you are free to extract the BSD one, which is under an entirely separate
copyright license.

> > No other free license requires you keep the previously free
> > source forever proprietary-linked, once it has become such.
>
> The GFDL does not require "you keep the previously free source forever
> proprietary-linked, once it has become such."  You can continue to develop
> and maintain a free version from the last non-proprietary version.

If you can find it.

> If you can't "retroactively" fork from a previous (assumed free) version,
> then the license in question fails the "Tentacles of Evil" test.  The GFDL
> (as I understand the license and the test) passes the "Tentacles of Evil"
> test.

You can, if you can find it. The trouble may be finding it.

(NB - I'm not discussing any of the other problems in the GFDL, not
because I don't believe they're problems, but because they've been
discussed already. I don't want people to get the opinion that the only
thing in the GFDL I'm objecting to is invariant sections. There's a lot
more, but invariant sections are the most odious to me.)
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>