Re: License evaluation sought

* Joe Wreschnig

 > You can GPL a JPEG, or a PDF, or whatever.

  Straying a bit off topic now, but this isn't as trivial as it you
 make it sound (for JPEG's, at least).  It's almost a certainty that
 the preferred modifiable form of a digitally created image isn't a JPEG,
 but a format specific to the graphics application being used (the Gimp
 uses XCF, for instance).  Yet, we're not very unhappy about distributing
 JPEG's only -- main is full of them.  But I'm sure this has been
 discussed to death earlier and I see no RC bugs on kdewallpapers, so..

 >  I'm guessing this is a SCUMM-based game? SCUMM is a virtual
 > machine just like the Java, Perl, or Python VMs. It's as much
 > "data" as a program written in those languages is, or (for
 > example), an IA32 binary running on Bochs.

  It's not SCUMM, but very similar, I'd guess.  The game in question is
 called "Beneath a Steel Sky", in case you were wondering.  But the
 source code vs. binary question is a very tricky one indeed, just as
 with the JPEG example I mentioned above.  I've asked upstream if he
 knows for sure that the files are source code (GPL-wise), and suggested
 simply using the GPL if so.

--
Tore Anderson