Re: PHPNuke license

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 02:36:51PM -0500, David Turner wrote:
> I do not think this is going to happen, especially given AGPL's (2)(d).
>
> Indeed, in the current version, it is *perfectly clear* that mere
> modification triggers (2)(a) and (2)(c).  If it did not, why would
> (2)(b) specifically mention distribution?

David,

I clearly disagree with that and am on record as doing so.

I find your logic that "section (2)(b) specifically mentions distribution,
thus all of section 2 takes effect on modification" to be non-sensical.  I
fail to see how one follows from the other.

The question is whether "provided that you also meet all these conditions"
applies to "You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion
of it" or "copy and distribute such modifications or work under the
terms of Section 1 above" or both.  In general, in English, you'd assume
that the "provided.." clause applies the the text most immediately preceding
it -- "copy and distribute...".

Thus, I read the start of section 2 as saying:

  You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it, thus
  forming a work based on the program.

  Additionally, you may copy and distribute such modifications or work under
  the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these
  conditions:

I believe you read it as saying:

  You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of it,
  thus forming a work based on the program.  You may also copy and
  distribute such modifictions or work under the terms of Section 1 above.
  Any modification, copying, or distribution may be done only of you
  meet all of these conditions:

I am at least willing to grant that there is ambiguity.  The wording in the
paragraph is poor, and leads to this ambiguity.