Re: PHPNuke license

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 14:19, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 12:36:18PM -0500, David Turner wrote:
> > > That sounds ludicrous and farfetched to me, given that both statements, by
> > > themselves, are already farfetched in this circumstance.
> >
> > (2)(c) concerns the act of modification.  Altering the program to remove
> > copyright notices is modification.  This is not ludicrous nor
> > farfetched.  The only question. then, is whether the program is
> > interactive.
>
> > Dictionary.com says of interactive:
>
> BUT -- (2)(c) ONLY takes effect if the user is distributing the source to a
> modified program AND that program is intractive.

No!  (2)(c) doesn't contain the first part of that -- it doesn't require
distribution!  See my other messages in this thread.

> > 2 /Computer Science/. Of or relating to a program that responds to user
> > activity.
>
> By that definition, Apache is interactive, as is the Linux kernel.

Sure, and I don't see a problem considering them interactive.  Now, I
guess you could say grep responds to SIGKILL being sent, but that *does*
seem far-fetched.

> >      <programming> A term describing a program whose input and
> >      output are interleaved, like a conversation, allowing the
> >      user's input to depend on earlier output from the same run.
>
> And here is depends on what is a "run".  A cookie-less HTTP request would be
> a run in itself. There is no interleaving there.  I suppose you could claim
> that a HTTP/1.1 session with keep-alives and cookies is a run, but it's
> again a little farfetched.

I actually think that, from an operational definition, it is a run.  If
I start a grep, make my laptop hibernate (presuming that functionality,
(dumping the contents of RAM to disk, turning completely off, and
restoring them on wake-up) were available with Free Software), wait a
week, and wake it up, are there two runs?  I don't think so.

--
-Dave Turner
GPL Compliance Engineer