Re: cdrdao license issues show that cdrtools package is non DFSG, too?

On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 08:28:30AM -0400, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 12:35, Branden Robinson wrote:
>
> > Strictly speaking, our concerns are only whether a license is
> > legimitate, and whether it's DFSG-free.
>
> Well, when we see stuff like the cdrdao license, which appears to create
> a dual-licensed mess along the lines of my hypothetical, I'd have
> concerns about that license being legitimate.
>
> Since it really doesn't make any sense what so ever, I don't think the
> author intended to actually apply the GPL.

It is perfectly reasonable for us to err on the side of caution and
elect not to distribute a work when the copyright license on it is
self-contradictory and confusing.  Indeed, to avoid distributing it is
the best defense against an allegation of copyright infringement.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I am sorry, but what you have
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    mistaken for malicious intent is