Re: OT: file renaming requirements - any prior art?

"M. Drew Streib" <dtype@dtype.org> writes:

> Whether or not a trademark on a filename is enforceable is arguable,
> although in my non-professional opinion, if a user reasonably expected
> that a particular command line would call a particular program, and
> another program were substituted instead, it might constitute
> the exact type of consumer confusion that trademark law is designed
> to prevent.

Nope.  Trademarks are not allowed to be functional elements.
Filenames (especially those of .sty files) are functional elements.

So, for example, if Microsoft Windows has an identification string,
and there are applications that query the identification string and
behave differently depending on what they get, then it's legal for
your Windows emulator to emit the same identification string, with no
trademark risk at all.