Re: OT: file renaming requirements - any prior art?

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 10:37:21AM -0700, Mark Rafn wrote:
> really the free source), and any command-name limitation should only
> be done via trademark.

IANAL, TINLA.

Trademark protection can sometimes be enforced without the actual filing
of a trademark application, depending on use, although that point
is moot to this discussion.

Whether or not a trademark on a filename is enforceable is arguable,
although in my non-professional opinion, if a user reasonably expected
that a particular command line would call a particular program, and
another program were substituted instead, it might constitute
the exact type of consumer confusion that trademark law is designed
to prevent.

I'd venture that a command-line program called 'oracle', designed
to run a database, would be challenged pretty quickly. (And I wouldn't
bet money on the 'new' oracle.)

I think Debian needs to think about a couple of things:

(1) If there were a trademark on a filename, would you agree to use
another name?

(2) Would this make the copyright non-free? You would have the separation
you're looking for, but still wouldn't necessarily have the right to
use the same filename.

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <dtype@dtype.org>