Re: Towards a new LPPL draft

>   follow its license meaning that you have to rename the files that
>   you change (i thought that was ...

> as I said, sorry that was not deliberate. But for me work and file
> name within the LATeX context is very tightly linked. I mean, if you
> have the single file

>  overcite.sty

> under LPPL then what other is the "work" then this file, ie how do
> you rename it without renaming the file? (yes you can put it into a
> tar ball, but this is not the way we think defines "work")

I have a file on my computer right now with the name "thesis.tex".
The title of the work is "Trust Economies in the Free Haven Project."
I gave a copy to my advisor, who renamed it to "2000/brians.tex".  He
did not change the title of the work in doing so.  I reworked it a bit
for publication, including changing the title to "A study of trust
economies" and accidentally saved it over the old thesis.tex.  The
work now has a different title but the same file name.

The name of the file and the name of the work are unrelated.  I
understand that custom causes them to frequently (barring use of the
filename mapping feature) be similar in TeX systems.

Come to think of it, the file name is actually
/home/bts/Projects/Thesis/thesis.tex.  Would you consider that I've
changed the file name if I change it to
/automount/bts/Projects/Thesis/thesis.tex?  What if I put it on a ISO
9660 CD, where the file name is "THESIS.TEX;1" ?

I would consider file name to be analogous to physical location: you
can't give me a license for a book which only allows me to keep it on
my night-stand; I can put it in any room of my house I like, on any
shelf.

> If you think of LPPL applying to the whole of a LaTeX sty/cls tree
> of files at once, we could, i think live with the idea (it is even
> described so in modguide or cfgguide as a possible though not
> encouraged solution (thereby actually violating the license as it is
> right now)), that you produce sniffenlatex which has its own
> complete tree and in there has identical file names to the pristine
> LaTeX tree so that both trees live side by side.

I think if that provision is there, it will be considered free by most
of the Debian developers.  To be specific, it would grant permission
for distribution of a fork of the *entire* program, clearly identified
as Not LaTeX, but with overlapping filenames with LaTeX.

>  But the problem
> here is that LPPL doesn'T apply to the whole thing but individually
> to its many parts.  so if you only wnat to change overcite.sty there
> is nothing nowhere to put it and i don'T see how you describe (or
> even want to) that for that change you have to duplicate the whole
> tree.

It's true, that would be (much) less convenient than just changing
overcite.sty and saving it as overcite-bts.sty, then remapping such
that my custom version is used when overcite is requested.  But it
would grant the essential freedom to modify and distribute which the
Debian project is asking you for.

Thanks again for your work here,
Brian