Re: Towards a new LPPL draft

sorry, I shouldn't have tried to answer your private mail in haste while
getting my coat to rush to the office.
I made a two typos ad least and one important one:

> as of now it would mean that for each individual work under LPPL you have
> folow its license meaning you have to rename the work (i thought that was

should have been

  follow its license meaning that you have to rename the files that you
change (i thought that was ...

as I said, sorry that was not deliberate. But for me work and file name
within the LATeX
context is very tightly linked. I mean, if you have the single file

 overcite.sty

under LPPL then what other is the "work" then this file, ie how do you
rename it without renaming the
file? (yes you can put it into a tar ball, but this is not the way we think
defines "work")

If you think of LPPL applying to the whole of a LaTeX sty/cls tree of files
at once, we could, i think
live with the idea (it is even described so in modguide or cfgguide as a
possible though not encouraged
solution (thereby actually violating the license as it is right now)), that
you produce sniffenlatex
which has its own complete tree and in there has identical file names to the
pristine LaTeX tree so
that both trees live side by side.
But the problem here is that LPPL doesn'T apply to the whole thing but
individually to its many parts.
so if you only wnat to change overcite.sty there is nothing nowhere to put
it and i don'T see how you
describe (or even want to) that for that change you have to duplicate the
whole tree.

in contrast:  if your sniffenlatex implements the filename remapping then
all you have to do is to
produce new versions of the (possibly few) files you actually want to
change, stick them into the
latex tree together with the unchanged ones there and all works (ie both
your sniffenlatex as well
as the pristine latex using the same files where applicable and different
files where needed).

cheers
frank