Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 06:32:57PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Uh, _technically_ you can symlink it (or write a wrapper), but
> _technically_ you could just mv it, too. But we try to adhere to the
> spirit as well as the letter of the license, don't we, which would stop
> us from doing that, don't we? Personally, although IANAL, I'd've expected

Nobody's implying Debian wants to do anything like this, of course.

> that such obvious attempts at avoiding license restrictions wouldn't get
> you all that far with a judge either. We're not willing to let people use
> "dynamic linking" as a way of avoiding the GPL's tentacles, in a pretty
> similar situation.

A third party, who isn't even using Latex (and so not under its
license), could create a symlink.  IANAL, either, but apparently
that's the purpose of trademarks.

Anyway, this one seems a moot point; the real problem here seems to be
individual components, not "Latex".  (Presumably, even if they had the
resources to trademark individual components, they couldn't trademark
"article".)

--
Glenn Maynard