Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia

On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 01:15:42AM +0200, Frank Mittelbach wrote:
> i have heard that statement before, but to me it doesn't follow from DSFG 4
> and others (regulars on this list I presume) have in my understanding also
> expressed that. Not everybody --- the camp is clearly divided.

I havn't seen dissention on this issue.  Some people have said that they
don't like it (many DD's don't like #4; that's why it's a a compromise),
and others (eg. Thomas and Branden) have pointed out that renaming may
not necessarily accomplish what you want.

The rest of this seems, to me, like you're trying to use #4 in ways it
wasn't intended to be used.  I'll leave replies to people more experienced
with Latex and the DFSG than myself.

> I can accept the argument: that you want it excluded and intend to change the
> clause in this way, but this is a different argument then (and I don't think
> that this is actually the consensus within Debian right now).

The DFSG is a set of guidelines, not a legal document; it has room for
interpretation.  Debian doesn't change the DFSG to indicate the details
of every debian-legal decision that required interpretation.  Yes, this
means there's some ambiguity if all a person has for reference is the
DFSG text.  (That's one reason these things are discussed publically.)

--
Glenn Maynard