Re: Towards a new LPPL draft

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 04:27:57PM -0700, Walter Landry wrote:
> It sounds like you might have to talk to Branden and maybe Henning as
> well.  I'm not sure about Mark Rafn and Glenn Maynard.  Thomas
> Bushnell, Sam Hartman, and Colin Watson seem to be with you.  Those
> seem to be all of the regular contributors to debian-legal.  My
> apologies if I've missed someone.

I'm not a DD.  For those interested in my opinion anyway:  What if I want
to modify Latex to remove the filename mapping?  If the DFSG-freeness is
dependent on that mechanism, then I can't remove it (for the best or worst
of technical reasons) and have it remain DFSG-free.  Having freeness
dependent on a feature being present is strange.

Jeff, I don't know how you could make the renaming requirement dependent
on this; then you have to deal with the case that people might remove
the feature.  Having license conditions dependent on specific features
seems like a bad idea.

(Of course, it might be nearly impossible to remove that mechanism without
completely breaking the entire system, but that doesn't change the point.)

--
Glenn Maynard