Re: A few more LPPL concerns

> Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 13:30:47 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Mark Rafn <dagon@dagon.net>

> > Note that in the above, `distribution' of a file means making the file
> > available to others by any means.  This includes, for instance,
> > installing the file on any machine in such a way that the file is
> > accessible by users other than yourself.
>
> Did this bother anyone else, or am I out in left field again?  I don't
> think it's actually enforceable, as it becomes a use constraint rather
> than a distribution (in the normal sense of the word) constraint, but even
> the attempt is unpleasant.  I can accept (unhappily) some hoops required
> to give out modified copies of your software.  I cannot accept that a
> Debian customer isn't allowed to change the software on a machine she owns
> (but isn't the sole user) without following these hoops.

I think this requirement is compatible with the copyright.

Suppose I take a GPL'ed program, change it and put the closed version
(sans sources) on my own machine. I did not violate GPL yet. Now
suppose that I make the drive NFS-exportable and encourage my paying
customers to mount it and access the program from there. Would I
violate GPL? I think yes.

I think that distribution is precisely this: making something
available to others. Giving other people the right to my access files
counts as distribution in my book.

--
Good luck

-Boris