Re: User's thoughts about LPPL

> Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 14:12:44 -0400
> From: Glenn Maynard <g_dlegal@zewt.org>

> Others (eg Boris) seem to be saying that the Latex developers don't
> mind if you rename Latex to something else and modify it such that
> \usepackage{article} in a document does something different than it
> does in the real latex.  You're contradicting this, so I'll discontinue
> this thread unless Frank or David speaks up to clarify this.

To say the truth, I do not see a contradiction here.

Anyway, here is a quotation from modguide, which is referred to by the
LPPL (the version currently in force):

    It is possible that you need to produce a document processing
    system based on standard \LaTeX{} but with functionality that
    cannot be implemented by using the approved configuration files
    and complying with the restriction on the code that is allowed in
    them.  In other words, you may need a system which is sufficiently
    distinct from Standard \LaTeX{} that it is not feasible to do this
    simply by using the configuration options we provide or by
    producing new classes and packages.

    If you do produce such a system then, for the reasons described
    above, you should ensure that your system is clearly distinguished
    from Standard \LaTeX{} in every possible way, including the
    following.

Then the guide lists the ways you should take to make your system
clearly distinguishable from the standard, including name change.

I read this quote as clear permission to perform any modification as
long as you do not claim your system to be LaTeX and take care it
cannot be taken for LaTeX accidentally.

--
Good luck

-Boris

Operator, please trace this call and tell me where I am.