Re: User's thoughts about LPPL

On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 13:22, Mark Rafn wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, David Carlisle wrote:
>
> > Changing the font metrics isn't like changing a picture file
> > it's like changing your png renderer so that the same file produces a
> > different image. ie the result document changes with no apparent change
> > to that source document.
>
> I agree with David - changing font metrics is similar to changing the
> engine.  If I can't change the engine (even if the result is incompatible
> with the original), I don't have free software.
>
> A license that prevents me from making such a change to a png renderer and
> distributing the result is not free either.

OK, let me clarify here.

I am trying to avoid rehashing an old argument that isn't getting
resolved now, and is really orthogonal to the question of whether LaTeX
is DFSG-free or not.

The question of "data freedom" or "font freedom" or whatever affects
many more packages than TeX, and doesn't affect TeX in any way that it
doesn't affect these other packages.  In addition, we have concerns
about real executable code here that no one disputes is functional, so
it's not like the fonts are the only problem here.

Again, if you're interested, read the thread I posted links to earlier.
In the meantime, please, let's keep focus.