Re: User's thoughts about LPPL

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, David Carlisle wrote:

> Changing the font metrics isn't like changing a picture file
> it's like changing your png renderer so that the same file produces a
> different image. ie the result document changes with no apparent change
> to that source document.

I agree with David - changing font metrics is similar to changing the
engine.  If I can't change the engine (even if the result is incompatible
with the original), I don't have free software.

A license that prevents me from making such a change to a png renderer and
distributing the result is not free either.