Re: spokesman (was Re: User's thoughts about LPPL)

> From: Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org>
> Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 06:20:32 -0400

> The TeX license is OK because it mandates what we call the program,
> but does not say anything about the API.  Even if the binary is called
> uglytex, it's still easy for me to run it over .tex files.  If those
> files use macros defined in plain.tex, those macrso can (at our
> option) continue to work in uglytex.

This is exactly the same with LaTeX. If you create a new format
newlatex.fmt and symlink /usr/bin/tex to /usr/bin/newlatex (this is
the UNIX TeX way to use formats), then you have a complete freedom to
load newarticle.cls whenever your document calls article.cls.

In macro languages you can redefine everything -- this is the beauty
of macro languages.

--
Good luck

-Boris

Thank goodness modern convenience is a thing of the remote future.
		-- Pogo, by Walt Kelly