Re: spokesman (was Re: User's thoughts about LPPL)

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 01:31, Frank Mittelbach wrote:
> Branden Robinson writes:
>  > Perhaps the LaTeX community should appoint a spokesman to the Debian
>  > Project so that we do not get contradictory statements about what is
>  > acceptable?
>
> Branden, pardon me, but i think this is funny. seems that you think the LaTeX
> community needs as spokesman which is the very thing that I think debian
> needs.

I'm curious.  From my perspective, the Debian people seem not to have
been contradicting themselves so far; I certainly cannot point out
anything that I would disagree with.  Do you perceive differently?

I'm not trying to make a point, either; if you see us as contradicting
each other, it's likely that we're not communicating our points
effectively enough.

> as far as this discussion goes a lot of people (some of which with
> @debian.org) have contributed in one way or another, are they all spokesmans
> for debian? if so I probably give up that this discussion as it feels
> pointless and impossible to reach any conclusion. if not then please tell us
> who is spokesman for debian (eg you and or Jeff)?

Speaking for myself, I would gladly defer to Branden if it were deemed
necessary for further progress.

> as for spokesmen of the LaTeX community i can't give you any as the community
> has members and they have opinions and express them for which I am grateful
> even if i don't agree with them always (just as i grateful if members of
> debian contribute)

The same is true, I think, of Debian.

One possible important difference: there is, I would imagine, a much
higher degree of consensus about the Debian Social Contract and DFSG
within Debian than I expect there is in the LaTeX user community over
licensing principles.  We debate these issues on a regular basis - very
loudly, in some cases.  I think it's safe to say that the LaTeX Project
probably doesn't have quite as much of an investment into legal
inquiries. :-)