Re: forwarded message from Jeff Licquia

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 12:23, Javier Bezos wrote:
> Let's put it in other words. TeX leaves to the distribution
> the decision about how files are read/written. tetex
> decides how files are read/written and it's under GPL. Thus, you
> can change it if you want. Nothing to do with LaTeX ot LPPL.
> After that, explaining the problem of holes in our dangerous
> time can be interesting but it's certainly irrelevant.

This is irrelevant to my position as stated:

'It's just my contention that they fall under the category of "software
produced by humans", and that everything that falls into that category
may potentially be a security problem.'

Thus, your way forward in convincing me that LaTeX cannot cause security
problems involves one of the following:

 - proving that LaTeX is not software,

 - proving that LaTeX is not written by humans,

 - proving that it is possible for software written by humans to not
contain security flaws, and that LaTeX meets the criteria for inclusion
in that group.

This is different from proving that it's *unlikely* that LaTeX could
contains a security flaw; that may be true, for all I know.