Re: WARNING: Crypto software to be included into main Debian distribution

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 01:02:51PM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:
> I maintain openafs and krb5.  Both of these programs are US origin
> programs in non-us maintained by US maintainers.
> I believe there are others.

Didnt know that - How does that fit into the picture.

> But hey, guess what?  We're using a different section of the EAR to
> export our crypto.  In particular, we're using 15 CFR 740.13(e).
> And guess what?  That section says nothing about  items staying
> subject to the EAR after export.

What i also meant was the reexportation by automation which one could
interpret as a knowingly shipment to T7 countries.

> I think you're confused about the definition of re-export as well.  As
> far as I can tell under US law, a re-export is when an item imported
> to the US is exported again, not when an item exported from the US to
> another country is exported again from that country.  That might be a
> re-export under that country's laws, but not in general under US law.

Thats the US centric view - From my view this means - We are importing
the crypto stuff from the US to Germany - And then ME as the mirror
maintainer i export the stuff to t7 countries e.g. as mirror.

Which means in the end that any upload to the main site is a knowingly
export to T7 countries (in the end)

> The maintainer, not Debian, is doing the export.  Every time I upload
> new software to pandora, I am exporting from the US.  I have the
> option of either violating US law or notifying the BXA of my export.
> Not surprisingly, I choose to notify the BXA myself.

The point i made is that in the future all incoming queues + master site
may be in the US - There are hundrets of full and partial mirrors access
that site and exporting to "good" parts of the world. There are some bad
guys over there in Cuba (Sorry - US speech) which mirror from a site
e.g. in Germany. Now - One might interpret as a knowingly exportation to
T7 countries. Who is to blame ? The DPL ? No - From my guess the'll go
after the individual maintainers who send stuff to the normal queue and
from that on do a knowingly (multi-step) export to T7 countries.

The whole point is about your control as a maintainer about the WHOLE
distribution (in means of shipment) from any mirror to any mirror. You
cant control that. Which means - In the end your maintained software
might end up in any T7 country which you cant control. But through the
automatic distribution (read: mirror) you might be held responsible
for knowingly exporting it.

Am i just too paranoid ? I feel uncomfortable with the point that there
might be legal DoS possible against a very important part of Debian
the package pool and its automatic distribution to mirrors.

The other thing - What about the usage restriction ? Why does noone
comment on that.

Flo
Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium