Re: could you safely rewrite the DFSG requirement?

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 12:47:07PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org>
>
> > So I can't rewrite the point in such a way it impose that commercial
> > distributions are themselves "free", in the sense of "free software",
> > right again?
>
> Correct.
>
> > Please, tell me why we (as debian) have to care about "aggregation".
>
> Because we want to make sure that users of Debian have the freedom to
> reproduce copies of the software, at least if they jumpo through the
> easy hoop of aggregating it with something.
>
> > Why we can't leave it as it is and leave O'Reilly care about this if
>
> Because we're concerned with the user's right.

Because we are concerned with users interpretation of the DFSG, ...

I think if we were trully concerned with the user's right, we would fix the
DFSG with regard to this ASAP, and not juggle with interpretations like you
are doing here.

It is always better to fix the source of the problem than to ignore it
(because it is difficult to fix without a full vote on it) and try to enforce
your opinion on how it should be interpreted.

Friendly,

Sven Luther