Re: draft for new Vim license

Glenn Maynard wrote:

> > > What if I have a copy with no changes at all, and want to distribute it
> > > linked against GPM?  I have to make a change (so it's a "modified Vim")?
> >
> > As far as Vim is concerned, an unmodified Vim can be distributed without
> > restrictions.  You can compile an executable and include it.  That's the
> > very first paragraph of the Vim license.  It doesn't matter what license
> > applies to libraries.
> >
> > So, if linking with a GPL library isn't a change, the first paragraph
> > applies and the Vim license doesn't restrict distribution.  This is GPL
> > compatible, the GPL license of the library overrules this, thus the GPL
> > applies.
>
> But if there were no changes, e) isn't an option, so we're not allowed
> to change it to the GPL, so GPM's license restricts it.

That's not a problem, because without changes the first paragraph
applies, and it's compatible with the GPL (no restrictions on the
distribution).

> Maybe someone else could explain how this would be permitted, but it
> would seem simple to make e) not care if there were changes or not.

I don't think it needs to be changed.  However, someone from the FSF
should confirm that.

> > If linking with a GPL library is a change, then the new e) applies and
> > distribution under the GPL can be done as well.
>
> That would mean that simply compiling a program is changing it.

Yeah, I wouldn't call linking a change.

--
A special cleaning ordinance bans housewives from hiding dirt and dust under a
rug in a dwelling.

 ///  Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@moolenaar.net -- http://www.moolenaar.net  \\\
(((   Creator of Vim -- http://vim.sf.net -- ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim   )))
 \\\  Help me helping AIDS orphans in Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org  ///