Re: draft for new Vim license

Mark Wielaard wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-01-08 at 11:24, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > Richard Stallman wrote:
> > > In section 2:
> > >
> > >     a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices
> > >     stating that you changed the files and the date of any change.
> >
> > The problem with this is that a user of Vim may never look in a changed
> > file.  I don't think the GPL requires that a message about the
> > modifications is printed on startup or with version information.  He
> > would not be aware of using a modified Vim.  It would be very much
> > desired that the ":version" command says something about this Vim being
> > modified.
>
> There is GPL clause 2 c)
>
>     If the modified program normally reads commands interactively
>     when run, you must cause it, when started running for such
>     interactive use in the most ordinary way, to print or display an
>     announcement including an appropriate copyright notice and a
>     notice that there is no warranty (or else, saying that you provide
>     a warranty) and that users may redistribute the program under
>     these conditions, and telling the user how to view a copy of this
>     License.  (Exception: if the Program itself is interactive but
>     does not normally print such an announcement, your work based on
>     the Program is not required to print an announcement.)

This only requires that the applied license must be mentioned.  It
doesn't require mentioning that the program was modified.

It would mean that when you add changes under the GPL, you are required
to mention in the intro screen that the GPL applies to the program.  I'm
not really happy with that.  I would rather see a note that this is not
the original Vim but a modified version.  But I suppose I can't require
that without becoming GPL-incompatible...

--
Beer & pretzels can't be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant.
		[real standing law in North Dakota, United States of America]

 ///  Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@moolenaar.net -- http://www.moolenaar.net  \\\
(((   Creator of Vim -- http://vim.sf.net -- ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim   )))
 \\\  Help me helping AIDS orphans in Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org  ///