Re: draft for new Vim license

Glenn Maynard wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 11:24:15AM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> > This is in the new draft:
> >
> >        e) When the GNU General Public License applies to the changes, you can
> >           distribute the modified Vim under the GNU General Public License.
> >
> > I'll send out a new draft when some other issues are cleared up.  Mostly
> > about the requirement to give a message about the modified version.
>
> What if I have a copy with no changes at all, and want to distribute it
> linked against GPM?  I have to make a change (so it's a "modified Vim")?

As far as Vim is concerned, an unmodified Vim can be distributed without
restrictions.  You can compile an executable and include it.  That's the
very first paragraph of the Vim license.  It doesn't matter what license
applies to libraries.

So, if linking with a GPL library isn't a change, the first paragraph
applies and the Vim license doesn't restrict distribution.  This is GPL
compatible, the GPL license of the library overrules this, thus the GPL
applies.

If linking with a GPL library is a change, then the new e) applies and
distribution under the GPL can be done as well.

Anything wrong with this?

--
It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water
pistol.

 ///  Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@moolenaar.net -- http://www.moolenaar.net  \\\
(((   Creator of Vim -- http://vim.sf.net -- ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim   )))
 \\\  Help me helping AIDS orphans in Uganda - http://iccf-holland.org  ///