Re: linking to GPL'd libraries WAS Re: One unclear point in the Vim license

tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:

> Yes, it is different.  One is a program making callouts to a different
> entity, the kernel.  The case we were talking about is that of library
> linking.

I should add here that it is relevant that the callouts to the kernel
are callouts to an interface which is defined as "not making things a
combined derived work", which is not normally the case for a library.
It is relevant and important here that the authors of the kernel
intend that understanding of those callouts.

If some nefarious added callouts to a GPL'd program which normally had
nothing similar, and then had some non-free program use those
callouts, all as an attempt at a subterfuge to defeat the GPL, this
would not be allowed.

Thomas