Re: linking to GPL'd libraries WAS Re: One unclear point in the Vim license

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Bushnell, BSG" <tb@becket.net>
To: <lloyder@canada.com>
Cc: <debian-legal@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 9:29 PM
Subject: Re: linking to GPL'd libraries WAS Re: One unclear point in the Vim license

> lloyder@canada.com writes:
>
> > If a library's interface is implemented to a standard or similar,
> > than someone linking to a GPL library version should be alright, no?
>
> No.  Actually linking to the GPL'd library is not allowed if you are
> doing so from non-GPL-compatible code.

I do not really understand why, I guess accepting it
in the definition of derivative work is the basis, but
I cannot help, but wonder as I have not seen legal
challanges that support this.  I also do not understand
why GNU has to have contributers sign legal pagers if
GPL works.  I guess I am just concerned for free
software.

Best regaards,
Lloyd