Re: RoboTournament - copyright problems with roborally board game?

> For example, scanning in the programming cards is a no-no, but creating your
> own programming cards with arrows and costs is perfectly acceptable.  I am

well, the game hasn't got the priority numbers on the cards, the board
game does have; all graphics look different, so they are probably
"native".

> not sure about if you use the exact same combination of costs and arrow
> direction as a set.  I don't think it is copyrightable, but there might be
> other laws affecting that.

robotournament does have some different cards and extensions, at least
the borad game with the extensions i have played does not have (maybe in
some of the other expansion packs)

> Some games are probably covered by patents (which are used to get a monopoly
> on an idea, like a design).

Names tend to be copyrighted as well.
I once queried Ravensburger (a german board game company) if it is okay
to do a "Memory" Game on my homepage; they replied that i cannot use the
name "Memory", but the idea is not copyrighted.

> Hoefully this game is written in a way to allow other boards and card sets
> (and new type of cards etc), and then it isn't a problem at all.   Although

a board editor is included, none of the example boards i played was
distributed with the board game; the graphics look similar but
different. (scanning wouldn't have looked good at that size i think ;)

> it might take some games to find out what boards and cards make for a fair
> and funny game, I am sure there'd be plenty of boards and card sets
> coming up.

upon starting the server you can change the propability of the different
cards appeareance, so the balance probably is different from the board
game as well.

Thanks,
Erich

P.S.
There is an arch-independant (needs tcl/tk) experimental package on
http://www.fachschaften.uni-muenchen.de/~erich/debian/
you might want to try it ;)