Re: RoboTournament - copyright problems with roborally board gam

On 24-Dec-2001 Erich Schubert wrote:
> Please CC: erich@debian.org; i'm not subscribed to the legal list!
>
> I'd like to package this game, but i fear that there are copyright
> problems, as it's very similar to a board game (RoboRally) from 1994.
> Updated with expansion sets in the following years, i think.
> In Germany the game is currently not available (a friend of mine tried
> to buy it, maybe it will get into stores again after christmas.)
>
> Is this game distributeable? I fear not, which would be a pity :-(

Hard to say really.  The screenshots look a lot like RoboRally.  However the
game play and look has been modified.  Several non computer games mimic each
other.  For instance I have a game from Cheap Ass Games called "Kill Doctor
Lucky" which looks a lot like Clue.  However the game play and spin is
different.

In the end the only real way to know would be to ask Wizards of the Coast if
they feel the game is too similar and if so what changes would they like to
have made.  This will likely involve lawyers and what not as they may
overreact.  Otherwise you follow the better to ask forgiveness than permission
rule and just see what happens.