Re: wpoison, is it okay?

On Sun, Dec 16, 2001 at 04:41:59PM +0000, Sunnanvind wrote:
> <snip>
> > HTML
> > image
> > >
> > > Please keep CC to 122929@bugs.debian.org
>
> <snip>
> Branden wrote:
> > The license also forbids distribution of the Wpoison logo in any format
> > that doesn't support an HTML hyperlink.  Neither the GIF nor PNG
> > formats, nor any image file format with which I am familiar, supports
> > HTML linking *inside the image file format*.
>
> Re-read. It says "image should be inside the hyperlink", not the other
> way around.

Re-read.  It says "the official Wpoison logo itself must be include"
[sic].  Therefore the shipment of an HTML document, or some image format
capable of embedding an URL, is mandated by the license.

Like I said, I don't think this is what the copyright holder had in
mind.  I think he means that *if* you use the official logo in an HTML
document, *then* you must make that HTML document link the official logo
image to the Wpoison home page.

But that's not what he said.  Instead, it looks like his lucidity is as
poor as his grammar.

At any rate, I would reject this requirement as violating the DFSG,
perhaps DFSG 6.  A tentative version of the Zope license from a few
years ago, which would require every HTML page generated by Zope to have
a "Powered by Zope" button on it that you weren't allowed to remove, was
held as DFSG-unfree by Bruce Perens and others.  This situation is
obviously similar.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     You could wire up a dead rat to a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     DIMM socket and the PC BIOS memory